CDOM/FDOM WETStar Version Discontinued
Affected Instruments: All WETStar Instruments
WET Labs has discontinued the CDOM/FDOM version of the WETStar instrument. This decision is based on factors related to production and low demand for this instrument. We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused our customers and end users. WET Labs will continue to service and
support existing CDOM/FDOM WETStar instruments the foreseeable future.
As an alternative to buying a CDOM/FDOM version of the WETStar instrument, we are recommending that customers consider ECO products as a viable alternative:
- ECO FLCD + optional flow-through chamber: this alternative gives very similar operational functionality when compared to the CDOM/FDOM version of the WETStar. The ECO instrument provides proven calibration and optical performance with the flow-through implementation of an optional flow-through chamber. Please contact a WET Labs sales associate for more details on the optional flow-through chamber.
For applications which have more sophisticated requirements, multi-channel ECO instruments can be integrated into the flow-through chamber implementation. Please feel free to contact WET Labs to discuss what options best fit your application.
Wet Pluggable Connector Material Issue and Replacement Plan
Certain Sea-Bird Scientific sensors have electrical bulkhead connectors that may fail due to a change in material by our supplier. The bulkhead connectors in question are the MCBH wet-pluggable versions. This issue does not apply to XSG connectors.
The failure mode includes corrosion and weakening of the pins, especially the power pin, which may result in pins breaking and getting stuck inside cables. Bulkhead failure will not cause flooding of the sensor.
Failure is most frequently seen in moored applications in shallow/warm water that are connected to external power.
Customer Alert: Chlorophyll-a Scale Factors Shift
- All ECO Chl-a fluorometers built or characterized before January 2011.
- All WETStar chl-a fluorometers built or characterized before July 2011.
WET Labs characterization testing has revealed that the chlorophyll-a (chl-a) solid proxy used to characterize our ECO and WETStar fluorometers allows a large amount of instrument-to-instrument variability. There are also differences in scaling between WETStar chl-a fluorometers and ECO chl-a fluorometers because of differences in the solid proxy used to characterize these instruments. A new methodology using a liquid proxy has been
WET Labs’ Actions
- If you characterize your instruments, you do not need to take any action. Continue to use your characterization.
- If you report scaled or raw data, you should adjust your reported values.
- For instruments returned for service, you will use the ratio between the previous scale factor and pre-service scale factor. This ratio will cover both the change in the methodology and any change in your instrument between the previous characterization and current service.
- Use the post-service scale factor going forward.